February 10, 2016

Of all the places to learn a new word!


So I was lazily surfing around TVTropes when I came across a "word" I was surprised spellcheck didn't catch.   Turns out, it's actually a word!







fo·ment
ˌfōˈment,ˈfōˌment/
verb
3rd person present: foments
  1. 1.
    instigate or stir up (an undesirable or violent sentiment or course of action).
    "they accused him of fomenting political unrest"
    synonyms:instigateinciteprovokeagitateexcite, stir up, whip up,encourageurge, fan the flames of
    "they were accused of fomenting civil unrest"



I will surely be using this one whenever I get the chance!

4 comments:

  1. What a fun place to pick up a new word! I've mostly seen foment in the phrase "foment a revolution" and I've even occasionally used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I haven't been involved in enough revolutions. ;P

      Delete
  2. Never heard it used before, good word.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments are moderated, and you might not see yours right away, so check back later!