June 3, 2012

Well, good news is nice

http://testyourvocab.com/?r=1879058

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
43,400
words
This is the estimated number of entries in a standard dictionary for which you know at least one definition.  
This number does not include word derivations (e.g. "quickly," derived from "quick," does not count as a separate word). And while it does count compound words (like "air conditioning"), it does not include phrases or expressions (like "food for thought").

Well, now I feel better!

It seems like a small number compared to the amount of words I actually thought were in an English dictionary...I think I'll go look it up. It does say "no derivations", which would probably double this number at the very least.

On second thought...it might make me feel worse.

*Please hold while Jeopardy theme plays*

Well, I was right. I know 1/5 of the words in the Oxford English Dictionary.  If I double it, though, I know about half of the words.  At least this is more than nearly everyone I know!  That's something to enjoy, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments are moderated, and you might not see yours right away, so check back later!